8260 Chapel Hill Rd Cary, NC 27513
919-460-9909
Pupsi Logo

Welcome to Pupsi - Dog Boarding, Daycare, & More!

The Most Dangerous Household Items for Dogs

Read our roundup of the most dangerous household items for dogs

At PUPSI, we put our dogs first. If you’ve been wondering how to canine-proof your home to avoid any accidents, read below to learn more about what to keep out of the reach of your furry friend. If you’re unsure about something around the house that might be harmful, feel free to contact us and we’ll be happy to answer your questions!

Human food

Our pets eat special food for a reason. Because of their sensitive digestive system, a lot of human foods can be fatal when ingested. Some of the more dangerous foods to avoid giving your dog include:

  • Chocolate – Made from the cacao seed, this food contains a harmful ingredient called methylxanthine, which is a stimulant that can cause rapid heart rate, vomiting, diarrhea, panting, excessive thirst, seizures and even death. Keep in mind, that dark chocolate has the highest level of this ingredient, while milk has the lowest.
  • Grapes or raisins – These fruits can cause internal stress, including kidney failure. Since these foods are tiny, take caution when you or your children are eating because they can easily fall to the floor where your pet can pick them up.
  • Onions & Garlic – These can kill blood cells in dogs, so chop with care when preparing meals, as these foods are used for lots of common recipes.Cute dog looking up at you
  • Macadamia nuts – These nuts can cause a myriad of problems including weakness, hyperthermia and tremors in dogs. According to the ASPCA, signs usually appear within 12 hours of indigestion.
  • Chewing gum and certain kinds of peanut butter – These foods can contain an ingredient called Xylitol which can cause liver failure and low glucose.

Household cleaners

Regular household cleaners contain harmful chemicals found in products like bleach and other disinfectants. Some of these products are kept under the sink in the kitchen or bathroom near the ground, so consider putting them in a higher spot so your pet can’t accidentally stumble upon them! These chemicals can cause lots of problems, and if heavily ingested could be fatal.

Human prescriptions

Many different medications can have harmful ingredients that can be toxic to a dog’s system. Always remember to keep these out of your dog’s reach because even a child-proof cap can be chewed through.

Insecticides

Similar to household cleaners and human medications, insecticides are made with poisons that can cause internal damage when ingested. Even though some may claim they’re non toxic, if a large amount is swallowed, it could mean trouble.

Underwear & socks

Leaving underwear and socks around the house may seem harmless, but these items can cause internal distress that may even require surgery! Dogs can ingest underwear or socks and not show signs until almost a week later, where surgeons have to go in and remove them if the dog hasn’t passed them through.

Always be Alert

Moral of the story? The best thing to do around your home is to keep harmful substances out of the reach of your pet. However, if your dog has ingested any of these substances, don’t waste any time. Call your nearest animal hospital and get professional assistance before it’s too late.

Read Our Reviews on Angies List


Canine Good Citizen Training
Loading Quotes...